Monday 28 April 2008

On not making a fool of yourself in butchers' shops

People my age don't go into butchers' shops very much. Some of us are vegetarians, of course, and others don't cook anything more complex than pasta and pesto. But most of us get our meat from the supermarket, and the reason is this.

We're scared.

Yes, scared. It's not the red-faced men wielding cleavers, or the unidentified red slug-like things lurking in trays in the window. We just don't know what to ask for. And we're scared stiff of embarrassing ourselves.

In a supermarket, everything has a label with price, quantity, how to cook it and how many it serves, not to mention what it actually is. In butchers' shops, meat sits around in unmarked trays, only occasionally labelled. And lots of things aren't visible at all - they live in the mysterious other world called Out The Back.

First of all you have to queue up. If it is a good butcher there will, generally, be a queue. Then you have to make your request, specifying what you want and how much, in front of everyone in the queue. Public humiliation is only moments away. And you have no idea how much it will cost - Nigella will gaily tell you to order a 3kg joint of beef, not bothering to mention that it is over £10 a kilo. You are not married to a Saatchi. If you are lucky you clocked the price list just before ordering and made a rapid adjustment just in time. If not the butcher will spend what seems like ages cutting you a hunk of beef and you will have to get him to go away and cut a bit off. He will roll his eyes and eight ladies with shopping trolleys on wheels will tut in the queue behind you.

He will also ask you an incomprehensible question, like 'Do you want that Spanish trimmed?' or 'Fore-rump or topsiderib?' You say 'Spanish trimmed' because he made it sound like a good thing, and he disappears Out The Back for a full ten minutes to do something complicated involving a lot of banging. The eight ladies tut some more.

I made a fool of myself once in Scott's of York, over some scrag end of neck. It was the first time I had ever bought scrag end, but Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recommended it for Tunisian lamb with aubergines in his Meat Book. I ordered a kilo. The trainee butcher fetched it and weighed it out for me. 'Eight pounds,' he said. 'Is that all right?'

I was a bit startled. I'd thought it was a cheap cut. Still, lamb shanks used to be cheap once but they aren't now, and Scott's is a top quality, Rick Stein Food hero sort of butcher. I was just handing over my ten pound note when one of the senior butchers noticed that the butcher apprentice had made a mistake. He apologised and sorted it out, but, obviously it was me that looked stupid. I could see the other customers thinking 'Well, that one's got more money than sense!' Scrag end is usually about between one and two pounds a pound. Butchers' shops are full of traps for the unwary.

Anyway, I've been into butchers' shops a lot now, and I've learnt a few things, so I'm going to share my wisdom with you:

1. Butchers are lovely. They don't actually mind at all if you ply them with questions and ask their advice. You can say 'Will that be enough for three people?' and they will say 'Three greedy people or three people with small appetites?' and you'll end up with just the right amount. If you say 'Oh dear, I'm not sure I can afford that much,' they'll suggest a cheaper alternative. They are as useful a source of cooking advice as Nigella or Hugh, and much more attuned to what is available to you and your budget.

2. They particularly love selling you cheap, manky-looking things like scrag end and offal. This is because a good butcher will be aiming to do something called 'balance the carcass'. Rather than ordering in a hundred chicken breasts and three dozen pork chops, a butcher will want to buy whole animals and manage to sell all the parts of them. He needs people who know how to cook in order to do this. So asking for the giblets does not make you a nuisance, it gives you credibility. The ladies in the queue will be impressed, too.

3. There are several good books around explaining about the different cuts of meat and how to cook them. I rate the River Cottage Meat Book very highly, but there is a cheaper one by Anthony Worral-Thompson and you should find a section on this in any good book on cooking techniques.

4. Scrag end of neck (which is lamb, for the uninitiated) is fabulous. If you slow cook it it ends up delicious and melting and falls off the bone.

I also want to say a few things to the butchers of the world:

1. Don't assume everyone speaks butcher language. Those charts with different bits of the animal are good, and they're something to look at while we're waiting in your long, long queue.

2. Label things as much as you can. Apart from anything else, it gives us ideas of what else to buy and promotes impulse buying.

3. Put your price lists where we can see them, in big easy-to-read letters. It's amazing how many butchers don't do this. You might even want to put them online, so we can work out how much our recipe is going to cost before we come.

I am not scared of butchers now. I no longer bicker with my husband as to who is going to get to wait outside with the buggy in the rain, and who has to go in and face the scary red slugs and the men with cleavers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right! I pride myself on being a resonable cook, but I'm too intimidated, most of the time, to use the butcher.

(Plus, I currently have the bulk of a sheep in my (small) freezer and am working my way through it, so it doesn't seem right to be buying much in the way of meat at the moment - but that's just an excuse really)

I picked up the River Cottage Meat Book in WHSmith at Monks Cross for a mere tenner recently. Well worth it - managed to identify a random, unlabelled piece of sheep as chump this weekend. Delicious, it was,too.

Great writing, really enjoyed it.

Rhubarb Fool said...

Thanks Chris!

I envy you for having a sheep in your freezer - I would love to cook my way through an animal (though that sounds eccentric now I come to think about it) but my husband points out this would only encourage us to eat more meat when we probably already eat too much.

Let me know if you have any recommendations from the River Cottage Meat Book - our hot tip so far is the Tunisian lamb with aubergines - it's gorgeous!

Richard said...

Yes, us carcass-balancers should feel better about ourselves.

I secretly worship a good butcher as if he/she were an Aztec god. I have a huge amount of admiration for them. I think its, as you say, about using the whole carcass and giving the animal dignity by not "reclaiming" the poor beast into a giant burger machine.

I love Scott's and my local one here in Clifton (Neary's).

Butchers also love it when you show that you are familiar with all sorts of things: hanging beef, the tender vs. flavoursome cuts, fat on pork etc. They don't expect such dialog particularly from those in our mid-thirties.

I am happy to give them hope in return for a piece of scrag-end!

Anonymous said...

Rather tragic news regarding Scotts who, after 130 years in the business, are closing.

http://www.thepress.co.uk/search/3217894.Scott_s_butchers_closes_after_130_years_/

I and many others will be genuinely upset by this. As part of York's heritage (what's left of it that hasn't been sold off down the river a la Starbuck's etc.) I really feel strongly that the council should pitch in and help out. It won't though. No doubt to be replaced by a coffee or phone shop.

A real shame to lose such a great producer and supplier and the makers of the best pork pies on the planet.